[LAU] [OT] Help with mixing and mastering?

Damon Chaplin damon at karuna.eclipse.co.uk
Sat May 9 06:33:31 EDT 2009

On Fri, 2009-05-08 at 17:06 +0100, James Stone wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> Although this is not strictly linux-audio related, I thought I
> would ask here, as I am using linux tools, and I know there are
> some really knowledgeable people here. So my question is, do you
> have any recommendations about where I can look to learn how to
> record, mix and master a standard 4 piece rock band?

Speaking as an audio novice, I think the Sound on Sound web site (and
magazine) is a fantastic resource for general recording & mixing advice.
The articles often have accompanying audio examples which really helps.
The last few months are subscription-only but the older ones are all
freely available.

For recording guitars this looks useful:
  http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/aug07/articles/guitaramprecording.htm

For bass guitar:
  http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/mar99/articles/recordingbass.htm

For recording drums:
  http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jun08/articles/kickandsnare.htm
  http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/Feb03/articles/drummiking.asp

Reverb:
  http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jul08/articles/reverb1.htm
  http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/aug08/articles/reverbpart2_0808.htm

Compression:
 http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/dec00/articles/adcompression.htm
 http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jan01/articles/advanced.asp

Mix compression:
  http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/may08/articles/mixcompression.htm

EQ:
  http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/Aug01/articles/usingeq.asp

Effects:
  http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/may07/articles/effects.htm

Mastering:
 http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/sep05/articles/masteringpreparation.htm
 http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/oct05/articles/gettingmastered.htm

They do a "Mix Rescue" every month in which they use various tools and
plugins to improve a mix:
  http://www.soundonsound.com/search?section=%2F&Keyword=mix+rescue

And they do a "Studio SOS" where they help people improve their home
studios, by installing acoustic treatment etc.:
  http://www.soundonsound.com/search?section=%2F&Keyword=studio+sos

Damon