[LAU] Fons could you make us an Hammond ;)

Nick Copeland nickycopeland at hotmail.com
Wed May 13 18:40:21 EDT 2009

> Some will see this as heresy, but I think that most of the Hammond sound
> comes from the Leslie speaker. The sound just from the console speaker
> on my L100 is almost a different instrument.
>
> With the right patch on a DX7 through a real Leslie you can get a pretty
> authentic Hammond sound.

I would not say that is heresy - Hammond should have bought the company. My last post was on the VibraChorus which was Hammonds attempt (the company, not the person - Hammond did not design the VibraChorus himself) to circumvent the increasingly popular co-purchase of a Leslie rotary speaker with every organ. There are parts of the sound that come from the reverb/C3/Rotary effects between them but, truth be told, it is the rotary which is the hardest to emulate which is why you need one with your DX to make is sound authentic - stack any set of sinewaves into a Leslie and you can hear Jimmy Smith humming The Preacher.

A quote from Wikipedia:

Seventeen years after it had rejected him, Leslie offered to sell the
company to Hammond. After thirty days he had heard no word from
Hammond. Don Leslie said: "After seventeen years, the thirty day period
is up. Too late".

Anybody with that sense of humour had to know what he was on to but who only knows how: his first 'model' was a speaker with a rotating baffle built into a cupboard which was itself built into a wall of his home, into which he had open slats cut into its door. How on this earth did such an idea come into his mind? And what on earth did his wife make of it all?

Nick.