[LAU] ACPI, HW and Jack issues? "[solved]"

Brent Busby brent at keycorner.org
Thu May 14 13:20:58 EDT 2009

On Thu, 14 May 2009, Jostein Chr. Andersen wrote:

> Yes, less than a millisecond. :-) ..but I still have to send "nosmp" to the
> kernel in Grub's menu.lst-file - or the system freezes; I wasn't aware of that
> when I wrote to this list yesterday - so it's still a lot of potential for
> improvements;

Hmm...seems like I've been seeing that a lot lately -- people who are
getting low latency to work, at the expense of SMP.  This is troubling
for me, because I was planning on soon finally upgrading my Athlon XP
based system to an AMD quad core.  Is the realtime kernel always badly
behaved on a multi-CPU system with SMP enabled?  That could be bad,
considering that there almost isn't any other kind of PC these days.

> just as with the proprietary nvidia driver for  my previos GPU,
> the proprietary ATI driver don't play nice with the rt-kernel, but I have a
> much quicker and stable sustem with the ST GPU. So I guess that it's a problem
> with the Ubuntu RT-kernel (2.6.28-3-rt) and possible in combination with some
> motherboard issues that I haven't figured out yet.

I'm planning on running a recent Radeon with the new free ATI driver
(called 'radeonhd?').  Is that going to be a problem?

> OS:   Kubuntu 9.04 64 bit with 2.6.28-3-rt running and with almost
>      every music related apps and libraries compiled from scratch.

You probably saved yourself a lot of headache there.  From what I've
been hearing, the distros have been dropping the ball on the A/V
packages lately.  (I hear 64Studio is nice though.)  Compiling your own
seems to solve all kinds of problems.  Besides, 90% of what I expect
from a distro is easy security updates.  But how often have you seen a
security exploit in something like Rosegarden or Ardour that somebody
could honestly use to hack your machine?

For stuff like A/V software, why NOT do local compiles?  :)

+ UNIX Systems Admin	 +  banging on a million typewriters will
+ Physical Sciences Div. +  Shakespeare.  Now, thanks to the Internet,
+ James Franck Institute +  we know this is not true." -Robert Wilensky