[LAU] usb soundcard with 6 outs

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Fri May 15 14:08:59 EDT 2009

On Fri, May 15, 2009 at 4:27 AM, Ivica Ico Bukvic <ico at vt.edu> wrote:
> : Re: [LAU] usb soundcard with 6 outs

>> > USB1/audio can't support that many channels.
>>
>> USB1 can just barely support eight channels with 16 bits at 48 kHz (the
>> SB Audigy 2 NX does this in full-speed mode), but it eats all available
>> bandwidth on the bus.
>
> Thanks all for the replies. I actually missed some of the earlier discussion
> regarding this so if you don't mind summarizing what is exactly preventing
> us at this point in time from having a better support of USB2 cards? Is it
> simply that there is no particular standard and companies are not being open
> to sharing the specs?

according to Clemens, the standard for audio over USB2 exists but
either none or very few devices implement it.
so far, the USB2 devices that have come out have their own per-device
drivers even on windows & linux.
Clemens indicated the other day that ALSA has no USB2 audio device
support yet, and that it being added is a chicken and egg situation -
no devices that use the spec, no reason to write drivers etc.