[LAU] Fwd: [PlanetCCRMA] Mixer Wowes

alex stone compose59 at gmail.com
Sat May 16 09:01:55 EDT 2009

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: alex stone <compose59 at gmail.com>
Date: Sat, May 16, 2009 at 5:00 PM
Subject: Re: [LAU] [PlanetCCRMA] Mixer Wowes
To: Fons Adriaensen <fons at kokkinizita.net>

I'll get the herbs and incense.....

Why make things even more complicated?

And the enforced latency?
Why doesn't anyone ever mention this 'feature' of pulse?
Might be alright for some who want to play pop music on their pc, but
what about serious audio use?
We already have a professional server for audio and midi.
Why do the 'minority' who have the passion and determination to use
these tools for a living, have to compromise, yet again to satisfy
those who would prefer using mixed use boxes, instead of pure use rigs
that smack anything else in the OS world for performance? (I don't
have a CRAY installed in the shed, so ok, maybe one challenge us
fairly seriously....)

If this is in the works, then i ask the jack team to consider keeping
a 'pure' strain of jack going, for those of us who don't want to drink
the pulse koolaid, and all the hype that has gone with that, including
the pain of setting it up. (And don't tell me pulse is easier to fix
when it glitches, cos i'll be too busy laughing to reply. And i defy
you to tell me it doesn't glitch...)

I have the greatest of respect for the abilities, skills, and
generosity of linux devs, but let's be real here. If the take up of
jack audio and midi had been more enthusiastically embraced as a total
professional solution by app builders, then we wouldn't even be
considering this.

What's next?

Pulse midi in every distro by default ? So the minority who don't want
to use it have to traincrash their build just to remove the debris of
that too?

*choke*

Alex.

On Sat, May 16, 2009 at 3:59 PM, Fons Adriaensen <fons at kokkinizita.net> wrote:
> On Sat, May 16, 2009 at 02:32:27PM +0200, Esben Stien wrote:
>
>> Pulseaudio and JACK developers are also coordinating efforts.
>> There is even talk about some kind of integration, which would be the
>> final solution to the audio problem.
>
> Let the gods protect us from that. I'm having enough
> misery with 'desktop integration' in jack2 as it is.
>

> Ciao,
>
> --
> FA
>
> Io lo dico sempre: l'Italia è troppo stretta e lunga.

Parchment Studios (It started as a joke...)

--
Parchment Studios (It started as a joke...)