[LAU] [PlanetCCRMA] Mixer Woes

Joe Hartley jh at brainiac.com
Sat May 16 10:03:44 EDT 2009

On Sat, 16 May 2009 15:28:38 +0200
Fons Adriaensen <fons at kokkinizita.net> wrote:
> Anyone knows how to get rid of that ~/.gvfs thing
> and its associated daemons ? Permanently ? I don't
> run Gnome so I don't want it any more than I want
> DesktopDirs, console session managers and other
> hideous things that slowly but surely are turning
> Linux into something that is even worse than Windows.
>
> According to my book the .gvfs thing is malware, as
> it even prevents root from cleaning up the mess.

THIS.

I run a very simple system.  I use Fluxbox as my window manager, and
try to strip my machines (especially my studio machine) down to the
bare essentials.  In the past (up to about FC7), it's been easy to
run only the stuff I want running.  No sendmail needed?  Gone.

Packages like pulseaudio and gvfs are only getting in the way of
doing what I want to do, or take up resources I would rather not
give a single bit up to having them run.

Fons is right on the money when he says that Linux is being turned
into something as bad as Windows.  (Sorry, Fons, it couldn't be worse!)

I thought I was free from having to "roll my own" stuff a long time
ago.  I really don't want to go back to spending days compiling and
configuring just because so many things in the current distros can't
be turned off.  I like Fedora, I really do, but I'd love to see it
give more control back to the user and not assume I need every package
under the sun.

       Joe Hartley - UNIX/network Consultant - jh at brainiac.com