[LAU] [PlanetCCRMA] Mixer Wowes

TheOther theother1510 at sbcglobal.net
Sat May 16 10:56:19 EDT 2009

Dave Phillips wrote:

> On my notebook Pulseaudio recognizes a master output and a PCM channel.
> It doesn't see the Mic/Line inputs at all, they only show up after I
> disable Pulseaudio and establish ALSA as my primary sound manager.

Thanks for bringing this up, Dave.  I wasn't going to say anything
more about PulseAudio, but now I can add another data point to the
discussion.

Vanilla Fedora 9, PlanetCCRMA audio repositories, DangerMouse's
RealPlayer 11 install, Yamaha MG10/2 mixer, HP workstation x4000
tower, Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS PCI card, Crown D-45 power amp, and
Event 20/20 (un-powered) studio reference monitors.

Line ins and outs from the HP motherboard sound chip and the Audigy2
card routed to the Yamaha mixer.

Setting PulseAudio to default to the Audigy2 card.

If memory serves, XMMS played to the Audigy2 line out.  The Yamaha saw
the output and music played through the Event 20/20 monitors.

Real Player 11 played to the HP tower case speaker.  Nothing showed up
on the line out from the motherboard chip at the Yamaha mixer.

Fedora 9 had this very annoying habit of trying to speed up the boot
process (possibly by cutting down on wait time for devices to show up,
I don't know for certain.)  As a result the IDE hard drive was always
detected before the SCSI hard drive (since Linux and the GRUB boot
information was on the SCSI drive, I had to pull the IDE drive out of
the tower), the tower's floppy drive was never usable under Fedora 9
(I had to get a USB floppy drive), and about 1 reboot time in 10 the
Audigy2 card was detected before the motherboard sound chip.

In those times when the Audigy2 was detected first, all sound
applications would use the Audigy2.  I was happy.

Then the power would go off, and it was reboot time with a very low
likelihood the Audigy2 would get spotted before the motherboard sound
chip.

I'll see what happens with Fedora 11 when it's out soon.

And I would like to hear what the original poster of this thread
finally did to solve his problem with PulseAudio.  Or perhaps it
hasn't been solved?

Best,
Stephen.