[LAU] [PlanetCCRMA] Mixer Wowes

Burkhard Ritter burkhard at linuxaudio.org
Sun May 17 07:20:42 EDT 2009

Fons Adriaensen schrieb:
> On Sat, May 16, 2009 at 06:11:37PM +0200, Esben Stien wrote:
>
>>> My needs are professional, ergo I do not need or want Pulseaudio.
>> I just can't see this as an issue, cause it's not;). Pulse runs as a
>> JACK client. End of story;).
>
> I'll decide for myself if something is an issue or not,
> and I don't need any big brother to do that in my place.
>
> - I don't want desktop sounds.
> - I only use audio apps that talk to jack and
>   then only those that behave.
> - I don't need PulseAudio, and don't want it,
>   not even as a jack client. It's useless for
>   me and someday it's going to do something
>   I don't like.
>
> So where do you get the idea that PulseAudio
> should be forced down everybody's throat ?
> If I don't need and want a TV, not even a free
> one, are you going to say me I must have one
> at home because most people want one ?
>
> Any good reason why PulseAudio is not installed
> as a service that can be enabled/disabled as
> seen fit by the user, just as almost all system
> components ?
>
> Ciao,

I thought I used to be able to enable/disable pulse audio from the gnome
session configuration dialogue. Not any longer, in fact I just
discovered that everything gnome session is completely broken in Ubuntu
Intrepid. I have no idea how things do get started up when I log in and
this used to be pretty transparent. So this seems to be a gnome issue.
Note though, that I can kill pulse without any problems and that's
exactly what I do for the occasional (increasingly rare) audio sessions
I do.

I agree that it should be simple to disable pulse audio or any other
service; also, at least on Ubuntu, audio related configuration dialogues
and control applications are scattered everywhere; without the
pulseaudio applet (which wasn't enabled by default) I'd be lost.

Nevertheless pulse solves issues: switching between onboard and usb card
is easy (I used to edit asoundrc regularly), I have an overall volume
for my usb card (which doesn't have a hardware mixer), I can play audio
from firefox while listening to something else (don't ask me why, but it
didn't work before). I can play audio over my friend's computer's
soundcard over the network with two mouse clicks, which comes in handy.

So all in all problems with pulseaudio seem to boil down to
bad/scattered gui/configuration stuff and integration/distribution issues.

Burkhard