[LAU] [Jack-Devel] What are we talking about. (Was: KILL DBUS)

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Mon May 18 10:35:01 EDT 2009

On Mon, May 18, 2009 at 10:25 AM, MarcO'Chapeau <marco at marcochapeau.org> wrote:
> On Mon, 18 May 2009 17:36:11 +0400, alex stone <compose59 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Marc,
>> hehe, and the waltz continues. So let's assume that pulse isn't being
>> considered here as part of the dbus paradigm intent .
>
> Hi again.
>
> Ok, let's stop dancing then :) Let me try to explain that dbus here is not
> the center of what has changed in JACK2.

i'm  just going to trying to summarize even more from what Marc has
said. There are two issues that have become tangled up in this recent
email flurry.

1) the current D-Bus support can be mishandled by packagers and this
can lead to problems for some users
2) the only actual implementation that uses the control API is based
on D-Bus, and this is not a source of happiness and cake for everyone.

There is nothing stopping other implementations (pure C, OSC, python
etc) using the control API, but at this time, nothing else does.
Stephane has attempted to correct problem (1) in svn with warnings
etc. to packagers.

--p