[LAU] pulseaudio issues [was Re: jackdbus issues: a workaround ? (Was: more jack/qjackctl madness)]

Nedko Arnaudov nedko at arnaudov.name
Tue May 19 03:10:13 EDT 2009

Patrick Shirkey <pshirkey at boosthardware.com> writes:

> I have got a problem with pulseaudio and jack not playing together. More
> importantly I have got a problem with pulseaudio being the default sound
> server and not having automated functionality to connect with jack. If
> after 10 years of running Linux audio, I have issues with getting
> pulseaudio to play nicely then pulseaudio is failing to meet it's main
> objective of making things easy for desktop users.
>
> I would really like to encourage the pulseaudio people who are reading
> here to make pulse gracefully and automatically cede control to jack and
> then auto configure itself as a jack interface.

AFAIK the fix is already implemented in both jack and
pulseaudio. Interestingly, the fix involves using D-Bus (nobody whants
to reinvent wheels for no reason). Of course it will take *some* time
until the dbus cooperation mechanism between jack and pulse gets
included in distro releases.

--
Nedko Arnaudov <GnuPG KeyID: DE1716B0>