[LAU] Bristol B3 and stuck notes

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Thu May 21 18:19:58 EDT 2009

On Thu, May 21, 2009 at 5:42 PM, Nick Copeland
<nickycopeland at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am dealing with an issue with Bristol where the B3 emulator uniquely
> exhibits stuck notes. None of the other emulators seem to show this problem
> and all debuging to date indicates that this is not an external issue such
> as lost MIDI messages, etc. The B3 has a lump of code that emulates all 92
> tonewheel whenever a key is pressed, it chews up a nice amount of CPU and
> this may be related to note event management sequences that might be buggy.
>
> Now the guy who reported the issue sees it regularly, he just needs to play
> a sequence of notes quickly and eventually one will stick on until pressed
> again. For the life of me I cannot reproduce this on my dev system, after
> hours and hours of playing.
>
> The bristol B3 is perhaps not the most popular example of hammond emulators
> but has anybody seen this?

i have some extremely limited and utterly circumstantial evidence that
the ALSA sequencer can cause this. Check the comparative versions of
his and yours. I stress: I can't prove this either, I've just seen
vaguely similar behaviour that given a brief debugging seems to be
caused by the sequencer at some level. Relevant?