[LAU] Hard lock-ups plus MOTU UltrLite Mk3

Darren Landrum darren.landrum at sbcglobal.net
Sat May 23 18:27:30 EDT 2009

Pieter Palmers wrote:
> Don't buy it if you want to use Linux. MOTU is Linux hostile and won't
> cooperate towards a driver. The best you will get is a reverse
> engineered driver, but currently nobody is working on the mk3.
>
> In any case, as it is now MOTU is evil.

Well, given my experience so far under Linux, maybe switching back to
Windows isn't such a bad idea after all. Maybe I'd finally get some
music made. Of course, if these are hardware issues, I can't really
blame Linux for that. I can blame Linux for its lack of direction and
major fragmentation, but that's just me being a cynic.

There has to be something that works well under Linux that isn't M-Audio
mediocrity. If the only choices are M-Audio (cheap, and sounds like it)
and RME (way too expensive), then I think I'd rather spend my money on
good software that will help me make music.

-- Darren