[LAU] Hard lock-ups plus MOTU UltrLite Mk3

david gnome at hawaii.rr.com
Sat May 23 19:07:20 EDT 2009

Darren Landrum wrote:
> Pieter Palmers wrote:
>> Don't buy it if you want to use Linux. MOTU is Linux hostile and won't
>> cooperate towards a driver. The best you will get is a reverse
>> engineered driver, but currently nobody is working on the mk3.
>>
>> In any case, as it is now MOTU is evil.
>
> Well, given my experience so far under Linux, maybe switching back to
> Windows isn't such a bad idea after all. Maybe I'd finally get some
> music made. Of course, if these are hardware issues, I can't really
> blame Linux for that. I can blame Linux for its lack of direction and
> major fragmentation, but that's just me being a cynic.

Well, then Windows or Apple will make you very happy with their "our
direction or the highway" option ...

> There has to be something that works well under Linux that isn't M-Audio
> mediocrity. If the only choices are M-Audio (cheap, and sounds like it)

Hmm, don't know about that. I've heard the output of a Delta 1010LT -
doesn't sound "cheap" at all to me. But maybe you don't consider it a
cheap product?

I have heard an Audiophile 2496 output through the stereo system of an
(excuse me) audiophile here and it definitely doesn't sound cheap. There
or here (I got one myself.) Maybe you don't consider that one a cheap
product, either?

Now Behringer I would consider cheap, but it doesn't like it to me,
either, so maybe I'm just not such an audiophile ...

> and RME (way too expensive), then I think I'd rather spend my money on
> good software that will help me make music.

Whatever floats your boat! I have no trouble making music with Linux
software.

--
David
gnome at hawaii.rr.com