[LAU] Hard lock-ups plus MOTU UltrLite Mk3

James Cameron quozl at us.netrek.org
Sun May 24 19:03:56 EDT 2009

On Sat, May 23, 2009 at 08:11:45PM -1000, david wrote:
> I also take those little desiccant bags (that practically every piece of
> electronic gadgetry comes with these days) and pile them in the bottom
> of the case. I think that doing so has kept my systems running longer,
> keeps humidity down in the case.

Fascinating.  How have you measured the result?

Desiccant really only works properly when it is in a sealed enclosure,
at other times it simply takes up the atmospheric water until it is
full.

I guess what you're really achieving is momentary bursts of lower
humidity.

Typical systems are specified with a minimum operating relative humidity
of 10%, so removing all humidity may mean you're operating outside the
specifications.  Which means either the manufacturer doesn't see the
point of testing "what happens if a pile of desiccant is placed in the
case", or *has* tested it and decided it is bad.

I can think of one advantage of your practice ... if the system is
powered off each day, then the thermal cycle experienced by the
desiccant may cause it to grab available moisture when the system is
initially powered off, and release it slowly during the night into the
room, and then release a final burst when the system is initially
powered on.

Now I'm imagining automatic opening and closing vents ... ;-) ... which
if they were under software control could be tied into a performance.