[LAU] Hard lock-ups plus MOTU UltrLite Mk3

david gnome at hawaii.rr.com
Mon May 25 02:02:51 EDT 2009

James Cameron wrote:
> On Sat, May 23, 2009 at 08:11:45PM -1000, david wrote:
>> I also take those little desiccant bags (that practically every piece of
>> electronic gadgetry comes with these days) and pile them in the bottom
>> of the case. I think that doing so has kept my systems running longer,
>> keeps humidity down in the case.
>
> Fascinating.  How have you measured the result?

Never have. I have no idea how to do that, anyway.

> Desiccant really only works properly when it is in a sealed enclosure,
> at other times it simply takes up the atmospheric water until it is
> full.
>
> I guess what you're really achieving is momentary bursts of lower
> humidity.
>
> Typical systems are specified with a minimum operating relative humidity
> of 10%, so removing all humidity may mean you're operating outside the
> specifications.  Which means either the manufacturer doesn't see the
> point of testing "what happens if a pile of desiccant is placed in the
> case", or *has* tested it and decided it is bad.
>
> I can think of one advantage of your practice ... if the system is
> powered off each day, then the thermal cycle experienced by the
> desiccant may cause it to grab available moisture when the system is
> initially powered off, and release it slowly during the night into the
> room, and then release a final burst when the system is initially
> powered on.
>
> Now I'm imagining automatic opening and closing vents ... ;-) ... which
> if they were under software control could be tied into a performance.

And would make a case that would appear on one of those case mod lists
... of course, I've always wondered why tower cases don't come with a
big fan mounted in the top, exhausting hot air straight up. I'd think
that would really take advantage of natural air flow.

I've never thought my dessicant bag thing out that much. The machines
are powered off and on each day. I very much doubt that they're removing
all humidity - the boxes aren't sealed. Plus I live in Hawaii, which is
probably more humid than the average manufacturer's idea of "normal"
humidity. Maybe the dessicants make just enough difference to take our
humidity down to "normal."

I know my in-laws use some fairly hefty means of dehumidifying my
brother-in-law's office (electricity in the islands is very expensive,
putting air conditioning out of reach for the majority of people)
because if they don't things rust out in about a year or something like
that ...

I'm thinking that you could build a case with all the components hanging
from strings. I'd think that would remove all need for fans ... having
the hard drive/CD drive occasionally moving about as the heads moved,
and maybe a power supply fan to occasionally kick in. Probably drive the
cats crazy.

--
David
gnome at hawaii.rr.com