[LAU] Please gather patches for Ingen

Thorsten Wilms t_w_ at freenet.de
Wed May 27 03:59:56 EDT 2009

On Tue, 2009-05-26 at 19:26 -0700, Ken Restivo wrote:

> I've gotten the impression from reading Dave's comments on IRC over the
>  past few years that he really doesn't want to make releases at all, or
>  to have users, even. Ingen/Patchage seems more to me like a personal
>  fun project than a user-friendly "product" and packaging it up for
>  people to install via RPM's or DEB's.

Well, making releases is no fun. Especially not if you are a
perfectionist and always find issues that you don't want to push on
users.

There have been many deep changes, entire rewrites, each pushing Ingen
away from a releasable state for a while.

Add to that the huge time cost for working on Ardour MIDI and LV2.

I can tell you from work on the GUI that Dave does care about users
other than himself.

> Perhaps someone would like to create a "fork" (I
>  use that word with great caution, but I don't want to use euphemisms
>  either), of Ingen/Patchage, via a Git repository available online,
>  where people can create patches to make the thing more packageable and
>  do testing on it and bugfixes and such, then of course Dave can pick
>  and choose what changes/patches he'd want to include in his SVN
>  branch.
>
> I'd willing to host such a repo, if it would be helpful. Ingen/Patchage
>  is very cool software with a great UI, and shows lots of promise. But
>  for Ingen to be more widely used it'd need a maintainer (or group of
>  maintainers) who wants it to be widely used and has the time/interest
>  to do the work required to make it that way (i.e. making releases,
>  dealing with distro maintainers, keeping up the documentation, etc.).

A fork is not a good approach. Having a release manager and packagers
and people who can do some user support to take all that off Dave's
shoulders would be great, I think. Branch yes, fork no.

--
Thorsten Wilms

thorwil's design for free software:
http://thorwil.wordpress.com/