[LAU] Please gather patches for Ingen

Ken Restivo ken at restivo.org
Tue May 26 22:26:59 EDT 2009

On Tue, May 26, 2009 at 01:09:02PM +0200, Thorsten Wilms wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-05-26 at 12:34 +0200, Grammostola Rosea wrote:
>
> > My suggestion is to gather patches for Ingen (and maybe for the other
> > apps) from start, so this new software could also be user friendly as
> > possible, and I think sound/instrument patches are important for that.
>
> What Ingen needs most right now is testing, I guess. If useful example
> patches are created while doing so, fine, but it shouldn't be the focus.
>
> For building a serious collection of patches, there should be a stable
> base, first. In other words, a release.

Maybe ask Dave?

I've gotten the impression from reading Dave's comments on IRC over the past few years that he really doesn't want to make releases at all, or to have users, even. Ingen/Patchage seems more to me like a personal fun project than a user-friendly "product" and packaging it up for people to install via RPM's or DEB's.

All that said, I've been using GIT lately and I love it. It's very natural to do distributed development with it. It apparently is possible for GIT to pull from an SVN feed and create a GIT repository, and sync up with it. Perhaps someone would like to create a "fork" (I use that word with great caution, but I don't want to use euphemisms either), of Ingen/Patchage, via a Git repository available online, where people can create patches to make the thing more packageable and do testing on it and bugfixes and such, then of course Dave can pick and choose what changes/patches he'd want to include in his SVN branch.

I'd willing to host such a repo, if it would be helpful. Ingen/Patchage is very cool software with a great UI, and shows lots of promise. But for Ingen to be more widely used it'd need a maintainer (or group of maintainers) who wants it to be widely used and has the time/interest to do the work required to make it that way (i.e. making releases, dealing with distro maintainers, keeping up the documentation, etc.).

Again, sorry about the flame-bait factor, but I hope that some kind of compromise can be found to package and finish Ingen/Patchage without doing any violence to Dave's vision (or his code!), or making too many demands on his time.

-ken