[LAU] Simple WAV-based looper with MIDI control?

Ken Restivo ken at restivo.org
Thu May 28 02:18:51 EDT 2009

On Wed, May 27, 2009 at 02:41:51PM +0700, Patrick Shirkey wrote:

> Eric Steinberg wrote:
>> TerminatorX?
>>

> tX should not be over looked. It is amazingly stable and powerful
> although the interface is (was) a bit blocky to use. I was doing full
> live sets with it 7 years ago with no problems. The svn/cvs/git version
> is well worth the time it takes to compile and Alexander Koenig is very
> receptive to suggestions.

Awesome, thanks!

It looks like TerminatorX will be what I'l be using!

I had somewhat stupidly dismissed it years ago as being a "DJ thing". As you point out, I was wrong wrong wrong. It's a great little looper, and does everything I want (except for JACK Transport, apparently). It's simple, fast, easy to do MIDI bindings, and runs on my netbook.

Since my Dual-Core 64-bit laptop is still being sorted out from upgrading to Lenny, I'll be using my netbook for the show.

And by the way, I don't mind the Indiamixx guys hijacking the thread to hype their product. The key to success is shameless, relentless self-promotion. Speaking of which, if anyone wants to see an EEE running Linux being used as an instrument, I'm doing a short duo set (Linux and congas) at Epicenter Cafe, 764 Harrison between 3rd/4th (next to Whole Foods), San Francisco, tomorrow May 28th between 7PM and 9PM. Free, come on by and hang out if you're in the area.

> H2 or almost any other sequencer can also be used as a looper in
> combination with jack-rack or any other fx processor.

I'm familiar with Hydrogen, but that's a drum machine. And, the version I have has no MIDI support other than note on/off. Or is H2 a Linux sequencer that I haven't yet used?

> tX and H2 have advanced midi interface support.

Indeed. Thanks again for your help!

-ken