[LAU] ubuntu realtime.

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Thu May 28 18:54:18 EDT 2009

On Thu, May 28, 2009 at 3:08 PM, Marcel Marti <marcel.marti at gmail.com> wrote:
> If you want to do music with Linux just try a focused audio distro like
> Musix, Jacklab, Studio64, and so on. (I've just tried Musix so I can only
> recommend this one). But if you like to spend hours tweaking the system and
> trying to get a stable and reliable platform for your audio production (as I
> used to do) just try Ubuntu Studio. It's up to you.
>
> I really love Linux and free software philosophy, and I've learned a lot by
> reading manuals, books and being helped by the comunity. But I also have
> learned that if you want to do music you have to know the right moment to
> stop with the tweaking spiral and start doing what you like most which is
> music.
>
> Asmo, to be able to reach latencies of 3ms does not mean that I always work
> at 3ms. It was just an example, just as yours with the 4ms jack-settings. I
> usually work with 11ms just to assure the work I'm doing.
>
> And please, let's help people instead of boasting. ;-)
>
> Good luck!

Well said and I agree wholeheartedly. My system can do 1-2mS
consistently, but the ONLY time I use it is when I'm tracking. Other
than that I run at around 11 or even higher. Mixing/mastering and
everything else is done up there.

Real-time *latency* only makes a difference when we're doing something
that *requires* real-time. Other than that I like Jack at higher
latencies because it does a great job of making sure the music gets
through to where it needs to be, on-time and not corrupted.

1mS latency for listening to a CD? Why? ;-)

Cheers,
Mark