[LAU] Building a DAW

Ricus Vincente wizardofgosz at gmail.com
Sun May 31 16:54:03 EDT 2009

On Sun, 2009-05-31 at 22:07 +0200, Fons Adriaensen wrote:

> Having used Neves I can only say I loved them. More than
> Harrison or SSL.

 I've been fortunate in my (former) career in that I got to use some
pretty serious analog desks.

> For converters, a good choice to use with MADI and MADI/ADAT
> are the 8-ch units from Aphex. They are great in fact.

 My experience with their stuff (analog stuff) is that it is decent.  Of
course Apogee is a good choice also.

> >  Ideally I'd like to submix the drums down to a stereo pair of outs so I
> > only use 2 channels on my console, same for guitars, percussion
> > overdubs, etc...
>
> That would be perfectly possible. The only consequence is
> that you have to divide you focus between routing done
> on the mixer and within Ardour. For such use cases the
> autoconnect works against you, so you have to do all of
> it manually. It's no problem during mixing, but it takes
> time during a recording session.

  Not too big of a problem for what it gives me in term of flexibility
with extra tracks.  A trade-off I'm happy with.

> >  I'd be comfortable with either.  After all, they made records with
> > destructive editing for decades.   :-)
>
> And using less than 16 tracks... Sgt. Pepper's was 4 track IIRC.

  Yep.

 And of course that will also give us the ability to record drums and
things on the 16-tk, and transfer to digital.

 I assume that Ardour can lock up with SMPTE if I stripe a track onto
the analog deck?

> >  Well that changes things considerably for me.  Punch-ins (and outs) are
> > a fundamental function for any recording device like this.  Why is it
> > unstable in this area?
>
> What happens regularly with my current setup is that after
> one second or so you get an error saying that writing to the
> disk failed for some reason. Restarting doesn't seem to help
> in such cases, saving and reloading the session may help.
> It's not something you'd want to happen twice in front of a
> performing customer trying to concentrate on getting his/her
> side of the punch right.

  Seems like this should be a high-priority big fix.  Why isn't it??

> > From what I've seen there should be a workaround for this, right?
> > Record another track, or region in the same track and drag the regions
> > to fit around the punch.  No?
>
> Yes, but that means you have to switch the monitoring manually
> at the right points  during the punch, and of course edit the
> transitions later. The latter takes time.

 Yep.  But hey, that's why clients have money.   ;-)

 Rich...