[LAU] I Flying - new instrumental

Dave Phillips dlphillips at woh.rr.com
Sun Nov 1 08:08:25 EST 2009

Oleg Ivanenko wrote:
> I've recently finished long-awaited(for me) instrumental composition
> (http://www.archive.org/download/IFlying/Ash_Ya_Lechu_I_Flying_986.mp3)
> and need your opinions about it. If you please, tell me about my
> composition/arrangement/performance/mastering etc mistakes.

Hi Oleg,

A few comments:

The flute/piccolo/whistle instrument doesn't add anything structurally.
The piece is clearly focused on the guitar sounds, I think I'd like it
better if the flute sound was replaced by another guitar part.

I wanted to hear some more significant crescendi. I think you could vary
the surface of the piece by playing with dynamics more. (I was going to
say "playing with dynamic curves" but I don't want to tempt my fellow
LAUyers).

The individual parts are well-composed and nicely performed. Some more
touches in the dynamics and balances might give it a little more
intensity. Btw, I listened to it on headphones, perhaps my critique will
change when I can play it on the main speakers here.

Best,

dp