[LAU] status usb2 for sound

Arnold Krille arnold at arnoldarts.de
Sat Nov 7 09:14:15 EST 2009

On Saturday 07 November 2009 12:06:20 Hartmut Noack wrote:
> Arnold Krille schrieb:
> > Firewire is the only thing where you can have high number of channels and
> > even more then one device on one connection. And work for supporting
> > almost all devices except for Motu is quite advanced thanks to support
> > from the vendors.
> So these big beasts seem to be the only alternative...

They aren't all big. The Focusrite Saffire PRO24 is rather small, bus-powered
(if you want) but still has lots of inputs. And without the DSP it is not that
much money for what you get.

> I can only hope, that the distributors wake up and put some of their
> big-company-weight (and errrmm maybe some of their money?) into that.
> But they seem to be totally unaware of something like a need for
> pro-audio-support for Linux. - What a misconception! Every OS out there
> that qualifies as "full grown" offers support for everything any user
> today does on a PC. MS and Apple do not ignore audio-needs just because
> audio-producers are only a small percentage of the userbase.
> The SuseAG showed some insight on this as they put the alsa-people on
> their payroll and set up a certified-for-linux programme for
> multimedia-devices that made Linux visible to companies like Terratec.
> As a result we now have perfect support for envy24-cards.
> But NOVELL cut these efforts. And other distributors, that proudly claim
> "We love the desktop-user!"? They do not much more than to gracefully
> accept a halfhearted integration of the unpaid efforts of free devs in
> the backyards of their repos...
> I really wonder what can be done to change this...

Actually Redhat employees are helping on making ffado run on the new firewire-
stack through libraw1394...
And TC electronics did give some financial support too. Only it was not enough
to pay ppalmers full-time, so he had to take a job.

Arnold