[LAU] Damn Ubuntu 9.10 update

Marco Castorina marco.castorina at yahoo.it
Thu Nov 12 14:14:35 EST 2009

Dear all,
 today I made the biggest mistake of my life I think, I upgraded from ubuntu 9.04 to 9.10.
Everything is working almost fine, but the audio is gone. If I try to boot from the CD, there's no problem,
but when I get back to the actual system, there's no sound.

The card is recognized:
marco at marco-x41:~$ lspci | grep audio
00:1e.2 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 03)

!!Soundcards recognised by ALSA
!!-----------------------------

 0 [ICH6           ]: ICH4 - Intel ICH6
                      Intel ICH6 with AD1981B at irq 22

but not for playing audio:
APLAY
aplay: device_list:223: no soundcards found...
ARECORD
arecord: device_list:223: no soundcards found...

Also when I try starting Jack:

Could not open ALSA sequencer as a client. ALSA MIDI patchbay will be not available.
ALSA lib seq_hw.c:457:(snd_seq_hw_open) open /dev/snd/seq failed: No such file or directory

and there are no sound cards to select.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Marco