[LAU] OT: online music promition/what do you think of bandcamp?

drew Roberts zotz at 100jamz.com
Sun Nov 15 13:30:51 EST 2009

On Sunday 15 November 2009 08:48:18 Atte André Jensen wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm about to release my second (physical) made-with-linux CD, and am
> starting to think about ways to promote the music online. I'm not gonna
> get rich of this, I know, but I spend time and money creating the music,
> and I really think the product is worth actual money.
>
> Anyways, I created a bandcamp site, since that seems to open
> possibilities for "fans" to pay for the download and I seems to be able
> to control this in a quite a lot of detail.
>
> My questions are: Any experiences with bandcamp would be greatly
> appreciated! Do you allow free downloads, and if so are you making any
> money? How about as a "customer", do you like bandcamp, how many are
> doing the i-leave-when-i-see-a-flash-player-dance? Did you ever buy
> anything there? Did you ever pay *more* than the minimum, also if the
> minimum was $0?

I pretty much leave when I see a non-Free license or no license info given. If
I like your stuff, I may buy your CD if the license is Free though. (My thing
for a while now. If you might be willing to explore ways of getting money
while doing the Free thing, I would likely be willing to help.)

all the best,

drew