[LAU] ubuntu 9.10 RT and Jack

Gary Morgan gmorgan777 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 16 23:00:05 EST 2009

i see..... well, then i guess i have to question my memlock or nice settings
again, dont I?

I've tried the standard settings, nice @ -19 and then up to 19, memlock at
100%, rt prio at 99.  Memlock to 50%, to 65%. I haven't screwed around with
rtprio much, though......

My question now, would be: what are these settings actually doing? memlock
seems to speak for itself, how much available mem is set for audio
purposes...right?

 but I dont see the difference between rtprio and nice, I only know that
they handle interrupt priority in an indirect way. perhaps i've been setting
them incorrectly; for nice and rtprio, the lowest number = highest priority?

Otherwise, I just don't see why each time i changed the settings, i would
get no difference. It makes sense that my cpu would be constantly running at
60% if I were to set memlock to 50 or 60%, but the xrun count was always
rediculous. and yes, tried restarts each time, for the jack server, and my
computer itself.

Guess I'm looking for some good guidelines to follow while tweaking this
stuff, too. Like what settings might be good for an amd x2 using 2gb ram?

thanks for the help