[LAU] jackd in realtime as user: a no-go in spite of modifying limits.conf

Der Mickster retroeffective at gmail.com
Thu Nov 19 23:51:28 EST 2009

Hey,

Can't seem to start jackd in realtime as user on ubuntu studio. It
does start as root, but that's hardly a consolation (unless I run all
audio software as root, which would be kinda daft IMO)

@audio - rtprio 99
@audio - nice -10
@audio - memlock unlimited

have been added to /etc/security/limits.conf

Nevertheless, starting it as user just doesn't seem to work, and I
just can't figure out why. I've googled the issue, and everybody seems
to agree that modifying limits.conf in the above manner should solve
the problem - yet this is what I get:

mick at kaizoku:~$ jackd -R -P89 -dalsa -dhw:0 -r48000 -p256 -n3 -S &
[1] 3092
mick at kaizoku:~$ no message buffer overruns
jackd 0.116.1
Copyright 2001-2005 Paul Davis and others.
jackd comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY

cannot use real-time scheduling (FIFO at priority 10) [for thread
-1217255744, from thread -1217255744] (1: Operation not permitted)
cannot create engine

Any ideas?

Mick.