[LAU] jackd in realtime as user: a no-go in spite of modifying limits.conf

Pablo Fernandez pablo.fbus at gmail.com
Fri Nov 20 10:27:02 EST 2009

On Fri, Nov 20, 2009 at 5:51 AM, Der Mickster <retroeffective at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hey,
>
> Can't seem to start jackd in realtime as user on ubuntu studio. It
> does start as root, but that's hardly a consolation (unless I run all
> audio software as root, which would be kinda daft IMO)
>
> @audio - rtprio 99
> @audio - nice -10
> @audio - memlock unlimited
>
> have been added to /etc/security/limits.conf

In a clean install of ubuntustudio 9.10 I don't see this problem:

pablo at Desktop:~$ groups
pablo adm dialout cdrom audio plugdev lpadmin admin sambashare
pablo at Desktop:~$ ulimit -r
99

BUT:

pablo at Desktop:~$ ulimit -l
64

I think I will have to add the memlock unlimited line in
'/etc/security/limits.conf' . Anyway, jackd starts with the -R option.

> Any ideas?

I suggest you check 'ulimit -r' just in case .

Regards, Pablo.