[LAU] USB Audio interfaces for linux?

Hans Wilmers hanswil at notam02.no
Sat Nov 21 17:43:06 EST 2009

Andrew C wrote:
> Wow, thanks a million for the answers!
>
> I'm probably might go with either the cakewalk UA-25 EW CW or the
> Terratec Phase26usb.
>
> Just out of interest though, Malte Steiner mentioned that the Terratec
> has unbalanced outs.. Would I just be able to use my internal
> soundcard for output or would this be wishful thinking?
>
> Also, do these audio interfaces just sort of, work out of the box?
> Plug 'n' Pray style? :/ I notice that they have very unusual inputs,
> are those XLR inputs (I profess I have little knowledge in this area)?
> What kind of cables would I need to feed audio from a mixer such as this:
> http://www.thomann.de/ie/samson_mdr6_6kanal_mischpult.htm into the
> audio interface?
> Thanks,
The Terratec Phase26usb works plug'n'play for me, and you can choose
sample rate and input selection with buttons on the device itself.
What I don't like, is that most inputs and outputs are Cinch, and there
is only one very simple microphone preamp, without phantom power.

/ Hans

--
Hans Wilmers
NOTAM