[LAU] midi drum pad project

andy baxter andy at earthsong.free-online.co.uk
Sun Nov 22 13:15:45 EST 2009

andy baxter wrote:
> hello,
>
> I am working on a project to build a position and velocity sensitive
> midi drum pad. The idea is to make a pad which can tell where you have
> hit it in two dimensions, as well as how hard, and then use these 3
> parameters to synthesise a sound which varies according to the
> position of the strike on the pad.
The other thing I wanted to ask (but forgot to include in my first
post), is can anyone recommend a linux python library for dealing with
live midi streams? I want to write a program which will map the incoming
sensor data first into x-y coords and then into midi events, and I was
thinking of writing the first version at least in python because it's so
much quicker to develop with than C/C++.

thanks,

andy baxter