[LAU] Controllers and stuff for live performance

Carlos Sanchiavedraz csanchezgs at gmail.com
Mon Oct 12 12:57:16 EDT 2009

Hi David,

2009/10/12 david <gnome at hawaii.rr.com>

> nescivi wrote:
> > On Sunday 11 October 2009 13:36:55 Carlos Sanchiavedraz wrote:
> >> Hi dear folks.

[...]

> I had a thought re keyboards (particularly the keys themselves). Why
> can't the surface of a key be a touchpad-like surface sensitive to
> pressure and even movement? So, for example, you could play a violin
> note, hold it, and use finger pressure and movement on the key surface
> itself to do vibrato the way a violinist would? That would go a long
> ways toward bringing human expressiveness back into playing the sounds
> of such expressive instruments as strings and woodwinds.

Yes, that would be great. But AFAIK the circuit inside keyboards just cares
about keypresses; nothing about pressure or velocity, although maybe
something could be hacked given the present keyswitches, electrical contacts
(or I think capacitors on old ones), scan codes and other stuff.
Do you know any work about that?

--
Carlos "sanchiavedraz"
* Musix GNU+Linux