[LAU] Controllers and stuff for live performance

david gnome at hawaii.rr.com
Mon Oct 12 13:12:16 EDT 2009

Carlos Sanchiavedraz wrote:
> Hi David,
>
> 2009/10/12 david <gnome at hawaii.rr.com <mailto:gnome at hawaii.rr.com>>
>
>     nescivi wrote:
>      > On Sunday 11 October 2009 13:36:55 Carlos Sanchiavedraz wrote:
>      >> Hi dear folks.
>      >>

> [...]
>

>     I had a thought re keyboards (particularly the keys themselves). Why
>     can't the surface of a key be a touchpad-like surface sensitive to
>     pressure and even movement? So, for example, you could play a violin
>     note, hold it, and use finger pressure and movement on the key surface
>     itself to do vibrato the way a violinist would? That would go a long
>     ways toward bringing human expressiveness back into playing the sounds
>     of such expressive instruments as strings and woodwinds.
>

> Yes, that would be great. But AFAIK the circuit inside keyboards just
> cares about keypresses; nothing about pressure or velocity, although
> maybe something could be hacked given the present keyswitches,
> electrical contacts (or I think capacitors on old ones), scan codes and
> other stuff.
> Do you know any work about that?

Sorry, I should have mentioned that I was talking about musical
keyboards, not computer keyboards ... although I suppose you that if you
ganged some Trackpoints (IBM's little eraser pointer tool) together, you
could get take advantage of the Trackpoint's directional abilities.

It was just an idea that I think would be great. Don't know if anyone is
working on anything even remotely like it...

--
David
gnome at hawaii.rr.com
authenticity, honesty, community