[LAU] rosegarden midi editor woes

Pablo Fernandez pablo.fbus at gmail.com
Sat Oct 17 18:01:42 EDT 2009

> Message: 10
> Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2009 22:20:38 +0200
> From: Dieter Plaetinck <dieter at plaetinck.be>
> Subject: [LAU] rosegarden midi editor woes
> To: linux-audio-user at lists.linuxaudio.org
>
> Hi guys,
> I'm using rosegarden 1.7.3 (=latest release)
>
> I think this is the best tool to do midi editing for drums on Linux
> (please tell me if I'm wrong), but it does do some weird things which
> get on my nerves:
>
> - inability to properly select (groups of) notes: frequently it selects
>  notes I didn't click, or it selects a group when I just want one
>  note, etc

I don't see this behaviour with a proper zoom. BTW, a good trick is Shift +
click in the piano roll (say C1):
All the C1 notes will be selected.

> - inability to properly insert notes: when i insert 1 1/32 note, and
>  then want to do one next to it, it removes the one i just insert
>  (even with quantize set to 1/32)

Again an improper zoom level? Anyway, what editor do you use? The percussion
matrix editor I guess? I like more the matrix editor even for drums. I think
it responds better with low zoom levels.

> - copy paste behavior: when pasting, it pastes the notes at the
>  beginning of the song (is this pebcak?)

Yes, you can move forwards and backwards the edit cursor with the right and
left arrows.
Notes will be pasted at this point.

> - when zooming in/out, the song jumps back to the beginning, even if
>  the 'time pointer' is somewhere else.
>
> The zoom focus point is the edit cursor.

> i could mention some more things, it only takes me a couple of minutes
> to start hitting time-wasting oddities.
>

> anyone had similar issues? can it be solved? is there something better
> then rosegarden?

I love hydrogen to edit drums. You can use 'klick -T -f /path/to/tempomap'
(klick as master jack and reading a tempo map in text mode, check klick) and
choose Jack Transport in hydrogen if you don't want a fixed tempo.

i tried openoctave midi but found it to be even more