[LAU] rosegarden midi editor woes

Dieter Plaetinck dieter at plaetinck.be
Sun Oct 18 17:07:31 EDT 2009

On Sun, 18 Oct 2009 00:01:42 +0200
Pablo Fernandez <pablo.fbus at gmail.com> wrote:

> > From: Dieter Plaetinck <dieter at plaetinck.be>
> > - inability to properly insert notes: when i insert 1 1/32 note, and
> >  then want to do one next to it, it removes the one i just insert
> >  (even with quantize set to 1/32)
> >

> Again an improper zoom level? Anyway, what editor do you use? The
> percussion matrix editor I guess? I like more the matrix editor even
> for drums. I think it responds better with low zoom levels.

percussion matrix editor. see below for explanation.  i'll try the
matrix editor when i get stuck again.

> > - copy paste behavior: when pasting, it pastes the notes at the
> >  beginning of the song (is this pebcak?)
> >

> Yes, you can move forwards and backwards the edit cursor with the
> right and left arrows.
> Notes will be pasted at this point.

thanks. this had to be pebcak :)

> > - when zooming in/out, the song jumps back to the beginning, even if
> >  the 'time pointer' is somewhere else.
> >
> > The zoom focus point is the edit cursor.

aha!

> > i could mention some more things, it only takes me a couple of
> > minutes to start hitting time-wasting oddities.
> >

> > anyone had similar issues? can it be solved? is there something
> > better then rosegarden?
>
> I love hydrogen to edit drums. You can use 'klick -T
> -f /path/to/tempomap' (klick as master jack and reading a tempo map
> in text mode, check klick) and choose Jack Transport in hydrogen if
> you don't want a fixed tempo.

yeah hydrogen is cool for composing drums, just too bad it doesn't
import midi.  And I need that.  anyway, i learned about the segment
repeating and the triggered segments in RG which seem like suitable
tools to keep things organized and redundancy-free, so if I can get my
issues with the editor smoothed out, I'm all set.

> i tried openoctave midi but found it to be even more
> > buggy then rosegarden (doesn't even render correctly)
> >

> > thanks for your help
> > Dieter
> >

> > Cheers! Pablo

I have been playing more with rosegarden and going through the
entire manual and I found out:

- i can use an 'edit marker', i was incorrectly relying on playback
  marker for paste positioning / "viewport positioning when zooming"
  -> hooray
- about incorrect note selections, i found that this is a feature in
  rosegarden:
  "The Quantize menu also shows you continuously what resolution the
  current segment or selection is quantized to. For example, if you
  select a set of notes that start on consecutive quarter-note beats,
  the Quantize menu will update itself to show 1/4, as this is the
  coarsest resolution consistent with the existing quantization of the
  current selection."

  this works quite counter-intuitive for me.  suppose i want to enter 3
  32nd notes after each other, of which the first one happens to start
  on a 16th note.  after adding the first, quantize changes to 1/16 so
  when i try to enter the 2nd i accidentally remove the first one
  again, no matter how precise i paste it on the correct position.
  with this behaviour in mind, the way to do it would be: put the 2nd
  note in position (to avoid quantize change), and then the first and
  third. this seems weird to me,
  unfortunately i couldn't find a way to turn this behaviour off.
- the "hold ctrl while drag to copy" seems also quite useful, no need
  to reposition edit marker all the time. yeay.

Thanks for all the replies guys,

Dieter