[LAU] setting up a Behringer BCF2000 for use with ardour

Brent Busby brent at keycorner.org
Mon Oct 19 18:15:42 EDT 2009

On Mon, 19 Oct 2009, uhoh wrote:

> On Monday 19 October 2009 10:40:57 am David Adler wrote:
>>> under the ALSA tab i have the following out ports (in addition to my
>>> sound card): MIDI 1 & 2 under the BCF2000 and control, mcu, & seq under
>>> ardour. the in ports are the same for ardour, but i have MIDI 1, 2, & 3
>>> for the BCF2000. which outs connect to which ins?
>>
>> AFAIK there is no disadvantage if the connections are done
>> in the Alsa tab, since both, the BCF and Ardour, don't use
>> Jack-Midi anyhow. The Midi tab shown in the Manual is
>> presumably the same as the Alsa tab today, the picture is
>> rather outdated.
>
> i'm using the ALSA tab with the default connections
>
>> In Ardour I had to check 'Generic MIDI' (options menu ->
>> control surfaces -> ...) before I could successfully
>> ctrl-middle-click the faders to assign them. Probably also
>> check 'feedback' for driving the motor faders.
>
> yep, that did it. i got the faders and the panning knobs to work. i'm pretty
> sure i know what to do now to get the rest going. thanks!
>
> the other thing was to make sure MTC, MMC, and MIDI param control radio
> buttons were set to the control port in preferences->MIDI. the ardour manual
> seems to imply using the seq port, which didn't work. i'm not sure if all
> need to be set to the control port, but at least one of them does. (the setup
> that works is the default for new projects on version 2.8)

For what it's worth, I was unable to get Ardour to slave to MTC/MMC from
an Akai MPC2000 going through QJackCtl's regular Alsa Midi tab (in 'seq'
mode, not 'raw').  Don't know if 'raw' would have helped or not, but
going to JackMidi *did*.  It now works using JackMidi (from the QJackCtl
Jack Midi tab) and 'seq' ports in Ardour.

+ UNIX Systems Admin	 +  banging on a million typewriters will
+ Physical Sciences Div. +  Shakespeare.  Now, thanks to the Internet,
+ James Franck Institute +  we know this is not true." -Robert Wilensky