[LAU] RME HDSP 9632 - amixer control

Klaus Schulz kls.schlz at googlemail.com
Wed Oct 21 13:51:04 EDT 2009

Hello all.

I am new to the list. However I am not new to the Linux audio community. ;)

Strange though that I never really heard/read about it. Anyhow -- here I am.

Let see if I can find a solution to my challenge.

I am running latest Alsa 1.0.21b. I just installed a RME HDSP 9632.

My challenge:  The machine is supposed to run headless.

This requires an automatic activation of the card. Some channels and volume
have to be initialized during  startup without X being up and running.

As it seems without starting up HDSPmixer incl. preset it is not possible to
get the card going.

However: The amixer control seems to allow to control the "Mixer" control
with three variables.

I do not have a clue how to do the intital setting via amixer - is it
possible at all - what logic is behind it?

Would be great if somebody could sched some light on the subject.
Interesting to know would be how to achieve a "neutral" setting in terms of
volume control. And how to read out the current status.

THX a lot

\Klaus

P.S. Anybody ever thought to transfer HDSPMixer  to commandline/ncurses?