[LAU] introducing l2ork

alex rae raealex at gmail.com
Sat Oct 24 00:20:03 EDT 2009

The "What is L2ork?" link on their website has some more explanation.
The most succinct explanation is in their faq:

[quote]
What is L2Ork?
L2Ork stands for Virginia Tech DISIS Linux Laptop Orchestra, World’s
first orchestra of its kind built on Linux.
[/quote]

Though I agree that to those who've never heard of a laptop orchestra,
that may not be so illuminating.  For that, the PLOrk (Princeton
Laptop Orchestra) site (http://plork.cs.princeton.edu/bio.html) has a
bit more of an explanation.  Basically, the idea is to develop the
technologies (hardware + software), skills, repertoire, etc to enable
an ensemble of laptops/players to perform together, coordinating and
interacting with each other with both networking tech and
musician-type skills.

For generating sound, PLOrk (the first laptop orchestra) i believe
mainly uses ChucK (Ge Wang developed ChucK with Perry Cook at the
Princeton Sound Lab, the same group that started PLOrk).  I saw
somewhere on the L2Ork site that they are starting out by using Pd.
It would be interesting to see more behind-the-scenes info on the
whole setup.

Basically the reason that there's all the stuff about hardware and
also linux is just that they are doing both -- setting up a bunch of
computers with linux audio tuned to their needs, and building a bunch
of hardware to go with it (e.g. the special speakers (each computer
has its own speaker unit).

-Alex