[LAU] How to package applications for the outside world

Ray Rashif schivmeister at gmail.com
Tue Oct 27 03:04:30 EDT 2009

2009/10/27 peter clarke <peterslistening at gmail.com>

> I have built a little audio-related application - it's a vocabulary
> trainer for people learning a foreign language.  I am thinking about
> making it publicly available, maybe through sourceforge or similar...
> but I don't know how to go about packaging it into an rpm or Debian
> package for the end user.  It's a python script with various data
> files and dependencies such as ecasound.
>
> Any tips on learning how to build packages?  Thanks for any advice you can
> give.
>
> Peter Clarke

I honestly think upstream developers shouldn't bother themselves - it's what
distros are for. You should just put up one source tarball and a binary
tarball (with runtime dependencies _documented_, not included, which someone
can download and run from within the directory).

But..if you really want to:
http://wiki.debian.org/DebianMultimedia/DevelopPackaging