[LAU] Prog rock instrumental, sort-of WIP

Folderol folderol at ukfsn.org
Wed Oct 28 16:00:43 EDT 2009

On Tue, 27 Oct 2009 22:17:35 +0000
Q <lists at quirq.ukfsn.org> wrote:

> Welcome back my friends...
>
> Can I play too? Everyone else seems to be releasing music, so I may as
> well join in seeing as I'm just about at a stage where I'm happy with
> what I have to be happy with.
>
> This is a symphonic progressive rock instrumental, influenced in style
> to a large degree by some of the moody Scandinavian bands of the past
> couple of decades.
>
> What's presented here is essentially finished: I feel the writing and
> recording for these sections is complete. I'm now content with the mix,
> for the time being at least. I daresay I might feel the urge for a few
> tweaks here and there if I take a break from it for a few weeks and come
> back with fresh ears, or if anybody points out any glaring howlers that
> I've become deaf to (quite likely, I'm sure). (Probably why it takes me
> ages to get anything finished, ceaseless tweaking!)
>
> But it's a work-in-progress in the sense that I don't know where parts 5
> and beyond are going (I have a few ideas). Plus, I've done no
> post-processing/mastering beyond using the TAP Scaling Limiter to boost
> the level by 6 dB. I'll probably get around to running it through JAMin
> at some point to polish it up a bit, unless it turns out to be a turd ;-)
>

> The working title is Lovatnet and so far there are parts 1--4 (in true
> prog fashion they will probably end up each with their own titles). I
> probably ought to warn that it starts off very quietly but does get a
> fair bit louder in places:
>
> FLAC (22.7 MB):
> www.quirq.ukfsn.org/Quirq_Lovatnet_pts_1-4_mixdown_26-10-09.flac
>
> OGG-7 (6.6 MB):
> www.quirq.ukfsn.org/Quirq_Lovatnet_pts_1-4_mixdown_26-10-09_ogg7.ogg
>

> Some details: recorded in Ardour (three sessions, composited in a
> fourth), drums in Hydrogen, a couple of bits of sequencing in Rosegarden
> (which for me feels like cheating -- need to face the fact I can't play
> as well as I'd like), Sampletekk Black Grand in Qsampler and the pipe
> organ is the wonderful Aeolus, lashings and lashings of LADSPA plugins.
>
> I get the feeling it's not a popular sentiment in some corners, but I'm
> also incredibly grateful for the likes of Wine and Wine-ASIO, without
> which I wouldn't have been able to make this, due to all the commercial,
> closed-source, Windows VST instruments plastered everywhere: GForce
> M-Tron/M-Tron Pro, NI B4 II, GForce Virtual String Machine, GForce
> Oddity, NI Elektrik Piano. Even a freeware pitch correction VST
> (GSnap) was used, but not on any vocals! :P
>
> Comments welcome (preferably in 13/8 time!). Enjoy.

Al though the music I'm most comfortable with is fairly 'mainstream' I
did in fact very much enjoy this. There were a lot of (to me)
unexpected changes but that didn't jar as I've found it does with some
compositions. Very much liked the changes in sound texture and the
dynamics.

--
Will J Godfrey
http://www.musically.me.uk