[LAU] Aeolus startup problem (was Prog rock instrumental)

Q lists at quirq.ukfsn.org
Thu Oct 29 19:21:22 EDT 2009

fons at kokkinizita.net wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 29, 2009 at 04:03:22PM +0000, Q wrote:
>
>> I think Aeolus is one of Linux audio's hidden treasures. I'm not an
>> organist, but to my ears it sounds utterly convincing and being
>> synthesized is so lightweight to use. I have problems with it not always
>> starting the first time (like my classic cars!) but once it does I have
>> so much fun with it.
>
> I'd like to know what exactly happens if Aeolus 'doesn't start the
> first time'... It's not supposed to have its own mind like your cars...
>
> Ciao,

Hi

Of course, sorry, how thoughtless of me not to feed back information to
you. To be honest, I've always assumed that it due to user error.

Starting Aeolus in a terminal (I normally run it from a menu, I assume
that makes no difference besides getting more info from the terminal?)
it says:

 > Connected to JACK with 0 inputs and 2 outputs.
 > Reading '/usr/share/aeolus/stops/Aeolus/definition'
 > Reading '/home/spitfire/.aeolus-presets'
 > Segmentation fault

Synaptic tells me I have version 0.6.6+2-4 and Stops 0.3.0-1. I'm
running Ubuntu Studio 8.04 (downloading 9.10 as I type).

If you need more verbose output, you'll have to tell me what to do as
I'm still rather newbish in certain areas, even after 5 years of running
Linux!

And I wish someone had told Triumph and bloody British Leyland back in
the 70s that cars aren't supposed to have minds of their own :D

Regards