[LAU] Prog rock instrumental, sort-of WIP

Ken Restivo ken at restivo.org
Sat Oct 31 01:10:06 EDT 2009

On Fri, Oct 30, 2009 at 10:26:02AM -0400, Rob wrote:
> On Friday 30 October 2009 12:27 am, Ken Restivo wrote:
> > I'm pretty sure Kevin Gilbert was in the audience, and he took note of
> > this reaction, and planned his Giraffe Lamb-Lies-cover set for ProgFest
> > 1994 based on that. He also used the element of surprise. Another friend
> > went to that show, and said it was just billed as "Giraffe". Nobody
> > outside of their innner circle knew that it was going to be a complete
> > live version of Lamb Lies, and it got a similar heroes' welcome.
>
> Not to pick nits on a legendary prog moment, but Kevin had to skip parts of
> it due to time constraints, and alluded to that in his pseudo-Gabriel
> banter between songs.  He omitted about 20 minutes, including Counting Out
> Time, Supernatural Anaesthetist, Riding the Scree and a few other songs.

Ah wait, scratch that, you are correct, Giraffe did NOT do Scree.

The moment I saw where an entire audience held their breath through a keyboard solo and then cheered when the keyboard player made it all the way through without screwing it up, was "In the Cage". Sorry, my bad.

I'm still a bit young for my memory to be fading and dropping/crossing details, but it is definitely happening. Sorry about that.

-ken