[LAU] DVDs and Ubuntu 9.10

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Sat Oct 31 20:14:57 EDT 2009

On Sat, Oct 31, 2009 at 4:57 PM, Bob van der Poel <bob at mellowood.ca> wrote:
> Hi guys. I know this is a bit off topic, but I'm getting frustrated
> beyond belief trying to get reasonable results from my DVD drives with
> a newly installed ubuntu 9.10
>
> The drives are both connected to a PATA interface (the only one on the
> MB). My hard drives are all SATA.
>
> All worked just fine on previous MBs and linux versions. Lastly had
> Ubuntu 8.04 running.
>
> My problem is that I know have very jerky video playback and slow
> seeks and crashes. I've tried mplayer, totem and vlc. Vcl seems to
> work best, but it's no star on this system.
>
> I've tried uninstalling pulseaudio, but that makes no difference.
>
> I've done a lot of reading of similar problems, but nothing seems to
> vector in on this. The ubuntu forms haven't been much help either ...
> just a lot of suggestions on trying different players, and installing
> libcss2, etc. That doesn't seem to be the problem.
>
> My guess is that it's a IRQ or DMA problem. I have no idea how to
> diagnose this or fix.
>
> So ... any ideas here????

I'm not an Ubuntu guy so I have no idea what they've set up but
personally I've had the best luck with xine. Totem never worked right
and mplayer I haven't used in years. It's not on my systems here. xine
runs fine on all my machine with or without an rt-kernel. Has a lot of
configuration options which is good if you want to dig in, bad if you
just want it to work.

Any clues in dmesg. Usually there will be something if drives are
timing out or there are blockages of some type. Also look in
var/log/messages, etc.

good luck,
Mark