[LAU] Fwd: What Live is about (was: Re: ableton live in vmware)

Brett McCoy idragosani at gmail.com
Tue Sep 1 09:20:29 EDT 2009

On Tue, Sep 1, 2009 at 9:12 AM, Daniel Roviriego<danifernando at gmail.com> wrote:

> "...the small world of Linux audio. The progress goes on, and now it is
> 2009."
>
> I feel sorry for that kind of imperialist/progessist thinking..You are
> right, we are in 2009 and some thinking should be different nowadays,
> progress not always bring good things, if you can tell the difference
> between good and bad..

You use what works best for you. Just because you can churn out music
in mere minutes in Ableton Live doesn't mean it's *good* music (no
slam at users of the product, I studied the site this morning and did
hear some good stuff on there), just like in the world of animation,
just because you can churn out an animation using Flash doesn't mean
it's good animation. I wouldn't base my entire studio workflow just on
Live, although as an adjunct application to "traditional" audio
applications (and hardware) it would be a useful tool for some things.
But it's not a panacea, it won't suddenly turn you into Tangerine
Dream or Kraftwerk or John Williams by any stretch of the imagination.

-- Brett