[LAU] Fwd: What Live is about (was: Re: ableton live in vmware)

Rob lau at kudla.org
Tue Sep 1 10:04:22 EDT 2009

On Tuesday 01 September 2009 09:20 am, Brett McCoy wrote:
> You use what works best for you. Just because you can churn out music
> in mere minutes in Ableton Live doesn't mean it's *good* music

I think this is a pretty dangerous argument to make, considering that
spending hours patching kernels and tweaking JACK latency is not exactly a
guarantee of listenable results either.

> But it's not a panacea, it won't suddenly turn you into Tangerine
> Dream or Kraftwerk or John Williams by any stretch of the imagination.

Nope, but if you are the next undiscovered John Williams and not a computer
scientist, what I'm seeing is that Ableton will probably get in your way
less than half a dozen loosely connected programs with few if any sensible
default settings and little to no way to save all their states at once
(LASH is not there and may never get there) will.

Someone working in the styles of the other two would probably be okay with
LMMS for a while, though.

Rob