[LAU] Ext3 or JFS (or other) for linux audio?

Joe Hartley jh at brainiac.com
Mon Sep 7 11:29:20 EDT 2009

On Mon, 07 Sep 2009 10:16:03 -0500
TheOther <theother1510 at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> A few years ago I had trouble in booting a Linux box that did not have
> Ext2 or Ext3 for the file system.  True, I wasn't using a specific
> /boot partition, just a / partition.
>
> Can you now boot with a / partition in something other than Ext2 or
> Ext3?  Or is the approach to use a /boot partition in Ext2 or Ext3,
> and then use whatever file system you want for / and the rest of the
> partitions?

It depends on what modules are loaded into the kernel and when.  My
practice has always been to keep the OS partitions (especially / and
/boot) on ext3.  Since I don't store my Ardour sessions in /, but in
another partition, it's never been a problem.

I've been using reiserfs, but am considering a move to something that
will have continued support in the future.

       Joe Hartley - UNIX/network Consultant - jh at brainiac.com