[LAU] Ext3 or JFS (or other) for linux audio?

TheOther theother1510 at sbcglobal.net
Mon Sep 7 11:16:03 EDT 2009

Ray Rashif wrote:
> 2009/9/7 Ray Rashif <schivmeister at gmail.com <mailto:schivmeister at gmail.com>>
>
>     JFS is low-latency, low-power, and all-around performer. As such, it
>     suits a mobile platform with 5400RPM disks.
>

> Oops, forgot to continue:
>
> For speedier and larger disks, ext3/4. Both XFS and ReiserFS have their
> cons. Google and you'll land upon a pretty old review, but JFS and EXT3
> come up ahead of the others.

A few years ago I had trouble in booting a Linux box that did not have
Ext2 or Ext3 for the file system.  True, I wasn't using a specific
/boot partition, just a / partition.

Can you now boot with a / partition in something other than Ext2 or
Ext3?  Or is the approach to use a /boot partition in Ext2 or Ext3,
and then use whatever file system you want for / and the rest of the
partitions?

Best,
Stephen.