[LAU] Denemo notation and Midi

TheOther theother1510 at sbcglobal.net
Tue Sep 8 09:10:26 EDT 2009

Nils pointed out the Denemo was good for Midi notation.

I've been using Rosegarden 1.7.3 under Fedora 9 and Lilypond for
printing with excellent success.  When I upgraded to Fedora 10,
printing from Rosegarden to Lilypond generated a Lilypond error, the
dialog box that was to say what went wrong in Lilypond was empty.  I
don't what went wrong.  As far as I know, the versions of Rosegarden
and Lilypond didn't change.

So I looked into Denemo.

The first difficulty was trying to import the Midi file I exported
from Rosegarden.  I couldn't find an import function under the File
menu.  I went through File, Edit, View, Mode, Input (under Input->
Midi Input, selected that and got a Pitch Input Control box which did
nothing to Import a Midi file), Playback, More, and Help (tried the
Browse Manual F1 selection and got the error "Could not find Mozilla
in the path" -- puzzling, I'm using Firefox 3.0.13) and that was all
the options at the top.

I then mouse'd over the next line with the icons and found something
that looks like an input tray icon.  Tried that and got the Open a
File for input.  Okay, a little bit hidden there trying to input a
Midi file, but at least I'd found the function I was looking for.

In Rosegarden I'd exported my Midi (with Lyrics) file in .mid, .ly,
and .xml.  Denemo crashed in trying to open the .mid file, the .xml
files Denemo use are a special version adjusted to Denemo only
(.denemo, and .dnm) and I had success in opening the .ly Lilypond file.

Unfortunately, Denemo didn't show the Lyrics when it loaded the .ly file.

Does Denemo work with Lyrics at all? Otherwise, may I suggest an added
feature?

Best,
Stephen.