[LAU] Laptop specs

Dave Phillips dlphillips at woh.rr.com
Sat Sep 12 08:10:02 EDT 2009

laurence alexander wrote:
> I use Ubunutu Studio for audio - Rosegarden, Hydrogen, AMSynth, Alsamodular synth, audacity, time machine, zynaddsynth etc - on an 8 year old laptop. I am having overheating problems and want to upgrade to a new machine. Any advice for minimum specs to be looking outfor. E.g. is a 7200rpm hard drive necessary? Should I go for dual core? Trying to spend around £300. Thanks

Interesting that you're having problems with overheating. Is ACPI
enabled on your system ? Which Ubuntu are you using ? IIRC there's much
better temperature control in recent releases. Alas, it screws up other
things on my system, so I disabled it and have to avoid using
power-hungry apps for very long. :(

Also, what CPU is in your laptop ?

Best,

dp