[LAU] Laptop specs

Scott lau at troutpocket.org
Sat Sep 12 11:19:23 EDT 2009

laurence alexander wrote:
> I use Ubunutu Studio for audio - Rosegarden, Hydrogen, AMSynth, Alsamodular synth,
>  audacity, time machine, zynaddsynth etc - on an 8 year old laptop. I am having
> overheating problems and want to upgrade to a new machine. Any advice for minimum
> specs to be looking outfor. E.g. is a 7200rpm hard drive necessary? Should I go for
>  dual core? Trying to spend around £300. Thanks

I upgraded my Dell XPS M1210 laptop to a 7200RPM drive and resolved my xruns problems.
You can get them (the laptop) for under $500 on eBay. They have the Ricoh firewire
chipset which used to be troublesome for the FFADO firewire driver. However, under
Fedora/CCRMA I've had zero problems. YMMV.

-Scott