[LAU] which audio synthesis environment?

Grammostola Rosea rosea.grammostola at gmail.com
Sun Sep 13 10:08:24 EDT 2009

Atte Andre Jensen wrote:
> Grammostola Rosea wrote:
>

>> Isn't it possible to make nice plugins for GNU/Linux with SuperCollider,
>> e.g. code an instrument and make a gui around it? As some kind of
>> replacement for VST plugins? Or is that a stupid thought?
>>

> I think that is an excellent thought. I'd prefer csound as a backend,
> though :-)
why Csound backend and not SuperCollider?

> I imagine PD would fit the bill best, though.

Mmh I think PD is an option but not necessarily better then
SuperCollider. Afaik SC gives you a lot of options which are easy to
edit (OOP).
> Imagine a PD VST/VSTi that came with presets (PD patches saved in a
> folder) and allowed the user to add her own. The underlying PD should be
> invisible to the user (so no need to do external install), just place
> the pd.so (with accompanying patch folder) in your ~/.vst and off you
> go. It could input/output midi and audio, so extreme arpeggiators or
> algoritmic composition would be within reach. Haven't tried it, but I
> imagine this is possible with the newly discussed Ableton Live/Max combo.
>
> Of course the more native linux plugin standards (dssi, ladspa, lv2),
> could also be a way to go, but I'm using a host that understands VST,
> VSTi and ladspa (I think not dssi). Maybe dssi would be the most
> appropiate, then we "just" need to convince devs to support dssi.

Yeah I was thinking about a Linux native format, but I think it aint bad
at all for us GNU/Linux users if the format can be used by (Commercial)
apps on Windows and Mac easily too. Cause that will make it more likely
that you get good plugins, cause people on Windows and Mac can work on
it too.
> I have no idea, however, if such a plugin has been atempted or how
> possible it would be...

Regards,

\r