[LAU] which audio synthesis environment?

hollunder at gmx.at hollunder at gmx.at
Mon Sep 14 03:52:09 EDT 2009

On Mon, 14 Sep 2009 02:31:33 +0200
Malte Steiner <steiner at block4.com> wrote:

> > Isn't one of those languages already able to spit out various
> > plug-in formats and/or at least C code? Was it csound,
> > supercollider or chuck?
> >
> I guess you refer to Faust which can generate several formats and
> plugins
>
> http://faust.grame.fr/
>
> There is also csLadspa which converts csound patches to Ladspa
> plugins.
>
> But actually you guys lost me a bit, what is so important about the
> plugin paradigma? The only benefit I can see is total recall but
> apart from it I see no use over using stand alone applications. The
> plugin idea comes from closed source environment which doesnt allow
> to make interapplication connection like you can do now and here with
> Jack and Alsamidi.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Malte

Ah, yes, Faust it was then, thanks.

The lack of a proper session management system is the biggest problem I
see atm..

Making plug-ins in multiple formats easily without having to learn the
plug-in APIs is a good thing in general. Less APIs to learn means more
time and effort can be put into the code that matters.

Philipp